I love furniture that you can take a peek at and instantly see a way to breath new life into. That's how I felt about this dinning room set we received from Brendan's parents. At first glance this set isn't all that bad. I just did not believe that it's country theme would fit in our house. So I began to go to work on fixing the table and chairs to better flow with the interior decor of our house.
My first step to the reconstruction and remodeling of this dinning room set was to figure out a way to get rid of the rod ironing details on both the tables and chairs. My thoughts were to cover them up with upholstery or even wood, but then I realized that the rod iron was easily removable by a screwdriver.
A few screws removed and the rod iron was out!
I want to first start off by saying that I am in no way a professional at this and hardly an amateur, I have just refinished a few pieces of furniture in my day and each time I make up the process as I go along. If I were you I would advise looking up a detailed tutorial or you can do as you like and make up your own method as I have done.
I started off by simply striping off the top layer of stain and sealer on the table with my mouse sander. Before stripping off the top layer of sealer on the chairs Brendan removed each seat cover on the chairs. After all the sanding had been completed I lightly washed off all the dust from the furniture. To stain and finish the dinning room set I used Miniwax's PolyShades Stain and Polyurethane in the shade of ebony. While the furniture was drying Brendan and I got to work on reupholstering the chairs. I bought my fabric from JoAnn's and I purchased thicker fabric because we left on the original plaid fabric and simply covered them up using the new fabric. I won't even begin to describe how we reupholstered these chairs because it was a circus show, but hey they turned out and that's all I was really going for.
Here is the final product...
I'm linking up to these great parties.